Friday, April 11, 2014

Why Draw Nudes?

I recently had someone come up to me and ask me, why do you only draw nude women?  The tone of the question threw me off quite a bit, as if I was being judged because of my choice of art.

I have been a figure artist since I was a youngster, drawing my own versions of Spider-Man, The Hulk, and other Marvel heroes.  When I got to college, I naturally gravitated to figure art. I excelled at life drawing class, and found that drawing female curves and muscle tone was challenging, yet rewarding. 

I cannot tell people enough how much I love my choice of subject matter.  I consider the female form God's most beautiful creation, and I am not alone.  Artists throughout history have constantly depicted the female nude in many different media and forms.

I especially love creating art of nude women, especially commissions of wives for their husbands.  I've had the pleasure to work with so many couples, and I realize what a special gift a nude portrait is for a loved one. 

So, to answer the original question, I draw nude portraits because I like it, I'm good at it, and it gives enjoyment to people.  It celebrates one of nature's most beautiful forms.  I hope you enjoy it too.


No comments:

Post a Comment